Sunday, March 6, 2011

Dear Beckett

Dearest Beckett:

Oh Beck, we have gone through so much in the past year.  It broke my heart not to have you with us after you were born.  But, we made the trek to the NICU every 2 hours until you came up to the room with us, 2 days later.  And then, we watched you and your sister in the phototherapy beds.  We worried about you, as you were the smallest, but you soon proved to be quite the fighter.

When you were born, we noticed the resemblance to Maeve, and wondered where your big, full kissable lips came from.  You quickly won the hearts of everyone in the NICU, and loved to snuggle with me in between feeds.

Like Maren, you loved to snuggle in bed.  But, unlike Maren, we had our struggles when it came to breastfeeding.  I'm sorry I didn't realize you had reflux sooner, I suspect we would have had a much easier go of things if I had. I felt so helpless as you screamed your little heart out.  I'm so sorry.

But, you were quick to show your fighting spirit.  You have always been quick to laugh, and love to make others laugh.  Your smile is infectious, and I know it will serve you well in life.  You are on a mission, and I have no doubt you will succeed. From the day you were born, you've been trying to walk.  Crawling came quickly, and you are now on the verge of walking.  And, just like everything you do, you don't mess around.  I can't wait to see what you do with your life.

You love your big sister, and try to follow her around like a puppy dog.  And, she, has always had a soft spot for her little brother.  Seeing the three of you together melts my heart.

You are our sweet, spirited, determined Mr. B.  And, you are my sweet little boy, please don't ever change.  I love you, Beckett.

1 comment:

  1. That made me cry Jenn. lovely letter to sweet Beckett on his first birthday.....Maren you are loved very much too but your brother had a bit of a bumpier start in life.

    Jenn , you must stop beating yourself up over not recognizing the silent signs of relux that with Beckett. You are an amazing mother and persevered with nursing when he wanted nothing to do with you for a while [ and now LOVES nursing !!]

    It has been an amazing and wonderful year and I am sooo happy to have been along for the ride .

    ReplyDelete