Wednesday, September 8, 2010

We survived the first 6 months!

Shouldn't fireworks be going off or something?

My good friend, Sarah, reminded me that I'd once said "If I can survive the first 6 months, I'll be ok".  I think that was my future self telling my tired past self that everything was going to be ok.  And it is.  Night sleep is still awful, but days are so much better.  They are getting into a schedule, and it is getting much easier to get out and about as well.  They don't mind the stroller as much, now that they can sit more upright, and even seen to enjoy it on certain days. 

They've survived the heat wave and the hurricane, the half a dozen colds brought home from daycare by big sister, and are looking more grown up every day.  I'd forgotten how much I *love* this age.  Every day is a new discovery.  A few recent highlights:

Beckett is almost crawling!  He can shimmy backwards and sideways, but not forwards (thankfully). He's still the busy one of the two, *always* in perpetual motion. He's also the early riser, waking the house at 5:30, chanting ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay- until we come and get him.  His reflux is beautifully under control, so breastfeeding is going well, and we're just around the corner from solids

Maren is our oasis.  She's a quiet, scrumptiously chubby, cuddly baby. Her favourite thing to do in the world is snuggle. She's the one who ends up "sleeping in" with me in the mornings with Brent gets up with the early risers (Beckett and Maeve).  Her next favourite activity is chewing on her big toe - she loves it!  She's also a people watcher and loves busy places.  She's generally quiet and observant, but will kick up a stink if she thinks her milk source is being threatened. She's also learning to move, but isn't quite making the progress that Beckett has in that department. Have I mentioned she likes to cuddle? Yum.




Overall, we're doing well. As I mentioned, sleep is awful.  I just need to keep reminding myself that it won't last forever. I go back to work part-time next week, which I have mixed feelings about.  I'm ready for the adult interaction, but wish I was a bit more rested. Work days will be crazy days, but I've got my awesome Mom here to help with Brent is away so I will survive!

And now, a few more pictures, just because they are cute.



2 comments:

  1. Such sweeties :)
    I am so glad that things are so good! I also cannot get over how much they've changed just in the month since I've seen them! They really do look ridiculously grown up.
    Happy 6 months, my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay !!! Jenn has been an amazing mother of Maeve and even more so of Beckett and Maren.

    I truly have watched her function so sleep- deprived it was insane but she did it along with wonderful Brent and a little help from her old Mom!!

    Six months and what a ride it has been .....loved every minute and as Jenn says, these are the truly "fun" stages in their lives ....

    Looking forward to the next six and of course enjoy reading the twin blog very much as well as living it !! xo

    ReplyDelete